A hearty and incredibly tasty minestrone soup with tomato, basil & mozzarella panini from Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Minestrone soup with tomato & basil
- 1 cobb loaf (450g), cut into 4 large slices
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2 cm thick slices
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 200g Delre mozzarella (from the deli), cut into 1/2 cm thick slices
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli pepper flakes
- 3 celery stalks, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled, small dice
- 2 cups tinned diced tomato
- 1 1/2 cups small shell pasta
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 zucchinis, skin only, cut into small dice
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Parmesan cheese, finely grated
The instruction how to make Minestrone soup with tomato & basil
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sweat onions, garlic, chilli pepper flakes, celery and carrots in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato, pasta and stock and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- While soup is cooking, prepare the panini.
- Lay 2 slices of the bread onto a clean work surface. Divide the tomatoes in an even layer over each slice of bread and season with salt and pepper. Divide basil over the tomatoes and lay the mozzarella over the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the 2 remaining bread slices on top and brush the outside of each sandwich with a little olive oil.
- Place sandwiches onto a preheated sandwich press or char grill pan over medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutes per side while applying light pressure until cheese has melted and the bread is nicely toasted, then remove from the heat to a cutting board.
- Once pasta is cooked, reduce heat to low and add beans, broccoli and zucchini and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and add spinach, basil and lemon, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp serrated knife cut each panini in half on an angle. Ladle the soup evenly among four serving bowls, garnish with parmesan and serve with the panini.
Nutritions of Minestrone soup with tomato & basilcalories: 928.754 calories
calories: 30.3 grams fat
calories: 12 grams saturated fat
calories: 121.2 grams carbohydrates
calories: 13.7 grams sugar
calories: 48 grams protein
calories: 43 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 2456 milligrams sodium