If youâ€™ve ever had this hearty soup with a tang of vinegar in a Chinese restaurant, youâ€™ll know how addictive it is. See notes section for Low FODMAP diet tip.
The ingredient of Hot and sour soup
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (see Notes)
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock (see notes for Low FODMAP substitution)
- 200g pork fillet, cut into thin strips
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons canned bamboo shoots, rinsed
- 2 spring onions, trimmed, thinly sliced (see notes for Low FODMAP substitution)
- 250g firm tofu, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Chilli oil, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Hot and sour soup
- Soak the shiitakes in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain, then remove and discard stems and thinly slice the caps.
- Bring the stock to a simmer over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the pork, mushrooms, ginger, bamboo shoots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes, skimming. Add tofu and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with soy sauce and vinegar and add gradually to the soup, stirring continuously. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon white pepper.
- Top with spring onion and serve drizzled with sesame oil, and chilli oil if desired.
Nutritions of Hot and sour soupcalories: 202.911 calories
calories: 7 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 10 grams carbohydrates
calories: 1 grams sugar
calories: 22 grams protein
calories: 48 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1769.04 milligrams sodium